Thursday, October 7, 2010

Writing Comedy for new DVD taping

I'm getting in the wood shed daily, writing for the next DVD taping. I've had to tune up my comedy writing basics. It has to be truthful, Phyllis Diller, told one of her writers, Gene Perret, if it's not true, don't send it. The writing of comedy, starts with truth, and involves the ability to analyze and prepare. There are two basic thought processes to writing a joke. First the rapid, almost unnoticeable, rolling of thoughts and ideas through your brain, and instantaneously analyzing these for a relevant connection with another thought. Generally joke writing is made up of taking two ideas and combining them into one. What I have to do is tie two ideas together in a funny way. A big part of the funny in a joke, is the funny, which comes as a surprise. The punch line has to be hidden while presenting the set up. The audience can't see it coming. A comedy writer has to take advantage of the way people process thoughts, so they can be led in a direction, and be hit in the head with the surprise. I'm trying my best to take experiences in my police job, and turn them into material, all the while, making sure these ideas and premises our relatable to a vast audience, as opposed to a niche group. This can be the difficult part, but it is what gives me a niche, in that, I'm one of the few actual cops, who is also a comedian. Ok, I'm back to the writing table, writing my next killer comedy routine.

No comments:

Post a Comment