Saturday, January 22, 2011

Introduced by original Saturday Night Live cast member Garret Morris


What a thrill to be introduced by one of the original cast members of Saturday Night Live, Garret Morris !
I know a lot of people of the new generation don't remember him from SNL in the 70's, but he is such a talent that I don't think ever really got the credit he deserved.  I had a chance to talk with him before the show, at 73, he still exudes a passion for life, and show business.  It was great to see  him up on that stage doing his thing.  He has had a wild run in life, fame with SNL, drugs, and being shot, and he is still living with passion.  I have been doing a lot of writing, and needed to get down to the Downtown Comedy Club, and put it out there.  It's the only true test of new material.  A comedy club, with no one in the audience that I know.  A comedy club in downtown LA, that borders skid row, probably the audience is made up of a very liberal crowd, and a crowd that is not that prone to loving the police, and here I go being introduced as LA's Comedy Cop, a real cop. But it went great.  I introduced the new stuff, the way you have to do it, opening up with tried and true stuff, and then slipping the new material in the middle, and finish with strong well rehearsed material.  I recorded the session with my flip video, so I could go over the reaction of the crowd to the material.  I am looking at filming a new DVD in the next year, so the time to write and hone the material is now.  Ofcourse crazy thoughts go through your mind as you drive to the venue by yourself.  You start thinking what am I doing, I have a day job that pays great, why am I going to this place of strangers who don't know me, and bear my soul.  It was a great set, and to squirm through the crowd at the back of audience, and comedians, meeting that blank stare of non recognition on your way to the stage, that feeling of confidence, and feeling this is where I want to be overtakes you.  After the set, to be met with applause and approval, and shaking of hands, and smiles of the people I passed by as a stranger not 15 minutes earlier, I have to say, was a tremendous high.  

No comments:

Post a Comment